Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Jelly Roll Block Tutorial - Crosses and Losses


I don’t know about you, but sometimes I buy jelly rolls just because...and I think maybe it’s because they look pretty, all rolled up like that! But there is only so many you can have lying around the house so I decided to bite the bullet and (shock, horror), actually make something with it!! This jelly roll is Half Moon Modern.


I had seen this antique quilt in an Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine and it gave me an idea. Sorry about the shocking scan of the picture...



So I made up this block and thought I’d share it with you (I figure, since I worked out the dimensions and all...)I'm sure I'm probably reinventing the wheel but just in case it helps someone out there!


CROSSES AND LOSSES TUTORIAL
Take two contrasting jelly roll strips (or any 2 ½ inch strips)


Lay them, right sides together, and cut 8 pairs of 2 ½ inch squares.

With each pair still together, lay your ruler with it’s ¼ inch line laying on the diagonal. Then cut.




Using a ¼ inch foot on your sewing machine sew each of these two pieces together. Press the seam towards the darker side. You should now have 8 half square triangle blocks that measure 2 ½ inches.


From the leftover pieces of your original strips cut (8) 2 ½ inch squares from the light strip and (4) 4 ½ x 2 ½ inch rectangles from the darker strip.
Also choose a colour to be the central square from the rest of your jelly roll strips (don’t worry, there will be enough of the rest of the strip to make another block!)


Laying a half square triangle piece next to one of the 2 ½ inch squares as shown in the picture. Sew these together and press towards the triangle. Take care to have the right edges lined up together!


Sew two of these segments together like so..


Pressing the seam open to reduce bulk.


Sew segments and rectangles together in 3 horizontal rows as shown. Press seams towards the darker colour each time.


Then sew these three rows together.



And here is some I prepared earlier!


Be back later (as in a week or so) to show you how I’ve sewn these together!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! These are going to make such a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete